Saturday, December 10, 2011

Mojave Desert

    Last night I spent in the desert of California just across the Nevada state line. Baker California is the home of Alien Jerky, which I plan to check out before I roll on I-15.  In the predawn hours I awoke to see the moon being eaten; a total lunar eclipse happening before my eyes.  I saw shooting stars, as constellations shimmered.  The sun rose with turquoise colors just as the last sliver of the moon dissapeared; I ran to the nearest mountain as light flooded back to the world around me.  The night was cold and I ran to warm up, climbed a small mountain and awaited the sun.  On my way back to the car I spooked a jack-rabbit out from under a creosote bush, and I was equally startled.  I watched it run through the desert over the sand and around the small bushes.  I realized that this large rabbit with huge ears looked more than a rabbit, almost part deer or something.  When I returned to the car I started a small fire out of dry branches, warming my hands and enjoying the beautiful sunshine that washed over me.  Mad Greek restaurant filled me up with Greek coffee, spanicopitas and flogeres(small sweets).  THis 24 hour cafe has so many tasty things that I want to camp another night just to try more things on the menu.  All this desert makes me think of wet West Virginia, but the vastness and nothingness is cool feeling.  I can see for miles and miles!  

1 comment:

  1. What say you about the Alien Jerky? I just had some yummy deer jerky (ultra-local) and I don't know if anything is better...but I haven't tried alien jerky yet.

    ReplyDelete