Saturday, January 28, 2012

Blacksmith




    This week I toured two different blacksmith shops.  The first was Mountain Forge in Truckee.  I met the father of the business and his son Toni.  When I shook Toni's hand I noticed the sheer strength in his grip.  It was like putting my hand around a block of wood.    http://www.mtnforge.com/    The shop had two bay doors for bringing tools and metal in.  There were three power hammers, numerous anvils, torches, and all the necesary tools for working metal.

    The other shop I went to was called Striker Forge, over in Kings Beach on Lake Tahoe. 
Jesse, who I chatted with briefly, is from Cabot Vermont, and he works alongside his friend Bernie.  Both these lads were young and friendly, and hard at work.  The Striker shop was much smaller than Mtn. Forge, but cozy, if you could call a shop with hot fires and sharp metal everywhere cozy.  http://www.strikerforge.com/
    I am hoping to get over there and tink away at something.  They said it was ok to come hang out, so I am in!

1 comment:

  1. Cool post.
    I get it, I get it...you are going to forge a skate park. I'll see you in about 20 years.

    "Hang out" = eventual slave.

    ReplyDelete